Written by Jen Friberg, Cross Endowed Chair in SoTL and Associate Professor of Communication Sciences & Disorders at Illinois State University
During the last academic year, the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Technology (CTLT) at ISU has introduced a podcast series called “Let’s Talk Teaching.” This podcast series brings members of the CTLT team together with guests from across campus for discussions about teaching, learning, and professional development opportunities for faculty at ISU and beyond. While new episodes are generally available on Fridays, bonus episodes are featured from time to time. Topics for podcasts represent a broad range of foci important to faculty. Each run approximately 20 minutes.
While the Let’s Talk Teaching podcasts focus mainly on practices for good teaching, several focus on scholarly approaches to teaching or SoTL including these:
There’s even an upcoming podcast that discusses SoTL that should be available in the next several weeks. A link to that podcast will be added as it becomes available.
This podcast series sparked an interest in searching for other SoTL-related podcasts that might be out there as good resources for those interested in SoTL. I found several that I will share below. There is no way this is an exhaustive list, so please feel free to add others you may know about in the comments below!
- Dr. Jace Hargis features weekly podcasts (typically) linked to specific published research on teaching and learning. Each podcast is accompanied by a brief, introductory article to provide context for the blog. Podcasts can be found at Dr. Hargis’ blog.
- The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: A Discussion (with David Voelker and Regan Gurung)
- Understanding the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning: A Conversation with David Voelker
- Research in Action: Dr. Peter Felten on SoTL
In addition, the following podcast series offer regular podcasts dealing with issues in higher education, which can occasionally discuss research on teaching and learning:
- College Connection
- Inside Higher Ed
- Teaching in Higher Ed
- Society for Research into Higher Education